Sunday, September 14, 2008

Primary program

I am probably one of the few people
who really does not enjoy
Primary Sunday.

This is the one Sunday a year
that the young children have our undivided attention
they control the mike
and proceed to teach us
the simple truths of the gospel
through mumbling,
loud talking
and music.

I am here to say
Today--was different!
I was touched!
It brought tears to my eyes.


For many years the primary program
filled my family with turmoil--
my children would have speaking parts
simple lines or maybe even a 5 minute talk.


For one child she would cry
and almost become physically sick
with the idea of having to get up in front of the congregation.
We would cajole,coax and persuade
and when that didn't work we would threaten.
We even resorted to bribery.
It ended up costing us alot....


I had one who loved to sing loud
and off key--and he always seemed to be close to the mike
as to make sure that EVERYONE heard him
some things have not changed--
well maybe the loud part has.


And it seemed that no matter how hard we tried
to have them memorize their small parts
they would forget it
or perhaps speed talk
or mumble their way through it
to the point that even I didn't know what was said.


This year I was approached to have our entire family sing
ARE YOU KIDDING ME?
I looked at this friend and said
"Have you heard our family sing?"
(Didn't she want the spirit there?)
We are good at many things
but singing is NOT one of them.
We have been known to apologize to those around us
for our singing in the past...
But she said she didn't care--

I presented it to my family one night
You should have heard the laughter--
There was no convincing them to participate--
Even second son suggested that they have the program
AFTER
his birthday in November
so he wouldn't have to participate.
(no such luck)


When it came time for the kids to go up today
my little one wanted nothing to do with it
(big surprise?!)
His sweet teacher came by
picked him up
and he snuggled into her safe arms.
This non-verbal child was also given a speaking part
(they wanted him to feel included)
but he decided to just sit reverently instead.
He should have been the
REVERENCE POSTER CHILD.
Next year I am going to suggest that--


So why did I enjoy the program this year?
What was the difference--
Maybe it was the fact that the majority of my children
were sitting beside me.

Maybe because the theme was such a simple truth
"I am a child of God"
It is good to be reminded at any age
that we are all God's children

but more than anything else
it was one song that touched me....


"If the Savior stood beside me,
would I do the things I do?
Would I think of His commandments,
and try harder to be true?
Would I follow His example?
Would I live more righteously
if I could see the Savior standing nigh,
watching over me?

If the Savior stood beside me,
would I say the things I say?
Would my words be true and kind
if He was never far away?
Would I try to share the gospel?
Would I speak more rev’rently
if I could see the Savior standing nigh,
watching over me?


He is always near me,
though I do not see Him there,
And because He loves me dearly,
I am in His watchful care.
So I’ll be the kind of person
that I know I’d like to be
if I could see the Savior standing nigh,
watching over me.


Simple truths
taught to us by the lords chosen.

Giving me something to think about....

No comments: