Sunday, June 8, 2008

Technology and Super Hero's

Recently, on the recommendation from my 2 oldest children, we saw the movie Ironman.
I have never really been a big fan of Superhero movies--I just don't find them realistic. But i can honestly say that i found myself engaged and very interested in this one.



Maybe it was because i knew so little about iron man that i was believing the story.

Maybe it is because technology has advanced to the point that he might actually be a possibility?!


I mean is it really possible for someone to be "faster than a speeding bullet, more powerful than a locomotive, and able to leap tall buildings in a single bound"









And then there is this guy(spiderman) who is bit by a spider and instead of being left with a sore spot he is given the ability to cling to walls, has superhuman strength, a sixth sense that alerts him to danger, perfect balance and equilibrium, as well as superhuman speed and agility.




I guess what i am trying to say, is that when you think about the whole superhero thing, it is not very realistic. But as I watched Iron man the thought crossed my mind that with all the technological advances that I have seen happen in my lifetime that maybe, just maybe this is a possibility? Not that i know that much about technology and such--but if you look at the technology that has advanced in the last 20 years it really is amazing. Think about it---20 years ago if you had a car phone let alone a cell phone you must have been really important and more than that--Loaded. That is not the case anymore. Everyone has a cell phone--even kindergartners. And computers--that was not something that i had in my home growing up. (We didn't even own a VCR--and i won't even address the gaming systems that were around at that time--ie: Atari--pong,break out) Our first computer when we married 20 years ago was a 286--I remember having someone laugh at me at how outdated my computer was when it was 4 years old and me feeling insulted.(I get it now) It wasn't that many years ago that computers took up entire buildings and now we have calculators that can process more information than those first computers. When you stop and reflect back it truly is an amazing thing.
So why these thoughts you ask--why now?
Well Sunday night my kids were asked to bring a laptop to a discussion with the bishop. It made me reflect on how technology has changed--the fact that we have portable computers--and not just one but two in our house is amazing! The information that we have available at our fingertips--WOWZER.
So go see Iron man and tell me that it is not possible to create something like that!--Who knows in a few years I might look up to the sky and see my oldest son coming home from work---
After all he did declare a few years ago
that when he grew up he was going to be
a superhero--
it might not be that far off.............

No comments: