Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Long drives lead to random thoughts

Nothing like a long drive to Yuma to get your brain thinking--or not. It is funny how my mind randomly rambles from thought to thought. So here are a few of them.

Lately i have been driving the little car that does not have a radio in it--it is amazing how you can really think when things are quiet, but yesterday i actually had the van, which does have a radio in it.It is amazing how music can invoke such strong feelings. I was really listening to a song on the radio and my eyes started tearing up. The words just hit me so strongly--i guess despite the hard shell that i try to show everyone I am really just a marshmallow center.

There is a short cut from Gila Bend to Maricopa that we fondly refer to as "Dead Cow Road"--only i haven't seen any dead or alive cows this entire year!? Are we going to have to change the name? And if we do will people know what we are talking about? Maybe we could call it the dippy do road--up and down the bus goes--as the "wheels on the bus go round and round".........

As i was coming home in the dark i would catch little field mice daring to race the bus across the road. It made me think of one of my favorite books growing up. I am sure that many of you have read it "The mouse and the motorcycle" by Beverly Cleary. I was trying to think why this book was so endearing to me? Maybe it is the fact that Ralph (the mouse) wanted more than to live a simple life that everyone expected of him. It brought a smile on my face to think about the joy that this book gave me as i grew up--there is nothing like an oldie but goodie. I think i am going to find it and re-read it for the fun of it.

The most important wisdom I can offer
is to never let others define your horizons.
Identify what success means to you
and then keep your eye on that prize.
-----
Kay Koplovitz

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Most of the time I like to drive without any music/ radio. Let's my mind unwind. Like when does that really ever happen?