Monday, March 10, 2008

TrANsiTiOnS

My children are growing up---whether i want to acknowledge that fact or not it hit me in the face this weekend. My third born called me on the phone to let me know that she had made the transition into womanhood!!{i-yi-yi} I haven't yet figured out the correct response to that information--I don't feel that you say "Congratulations"--cuz why would you congratulate the fact for many years to come once a month you feel bloated, crampy and cranky? I love the fact that i am a woman, and have been blessed with the opportunity of motherhood--but what you have to deal with on a monthly basis can be a bit daunting as a teenager. The hormones alone leave you questioning your sanity at times?! She was rather emotional but handled the fact well. We went to dinner and a movie that night and I enjoyed my alone time with her. It always amazes me the things they will talk about when you are alone together. "Things" that you have no idea were even floating around in their heads. I can see how easy it would be to allow the distance to grow between teen and adult. I just need to remind myself to take time for each of them individually. It is bitter sweet watching how quickly your children transition from one stage of life into another--if i think about it too much it makes me rather sad. Where does the time go? It seems like only yesterday she was this tiny little thing with tons of black hair--[at this point i would post a picture but that was pre-digital days] I feel if I do it right I am working myself right out of a job--ah the bitter sweet joys of motherhood. For those of you who have yet to experience this--watch out---it will be here before you know it. Enjoy them while you can and i will do my best to slow down the moments and savor them for what they are--TRANSITIONS

{Mothering}
should involve
both taking care of someone
who is dependent
and at the same time
supporting that person
in his or her efforts
to become independent.
------
Signe Hammer

No comments: