Friday, August 29, 2008

morally wrong music

I love music!
different genres--
Quite often i really don't listen to the words
it is the rhythm and the beat
that draws me in.
Sometimes I know the words and sing along
without really hearing what is being said.
then when i actually listen to the words
i am occasionally appalled.

How about the song
lips of an angel?
It has a great tune
but what he is saying....
"his girlfriend is in the next room
sometimes he wishes it was her (instead)
if she knew
she would be mad"
WELL YA--
ya big dummy!
maybe you shouldn't be cheating.
Hang up the phone--
save the heartache--

OK i know it is just a song
but is it?
Or is it a reflection on what is acceptable
in our society today?

I have a new song that i am currently feeling disturbed over
15 weeks it has been on the billboard charts
Spending 7 weeks at #1
It has a great beat
it is a fun song--
but when you really listen to the words
when you hear a young woman idly singing it--
it kinda gives me the willies.
"I kissed a girl and I liked it--
the taste of her cherry chap stick--
I kissed a girl just to try it--
it felt so wrong--it felt so right--"
EWWWEEEE
I am sorry--
they are trying to sell that lifestyle
as fun and acceptable

I do not have to accept that as OK!
I realize that i am not being politically correct--
and i am OK with that


Nothing is politically right
which is morally wrong.
---
Daniel O'Connell

Just one more way the media is chipping away
at the moral fiber of our society
at our principles---


Principle
particularly moral principle--
can never be a weather vane,
spinning around this way and that
with the shifting winds of expediency.
Moral principle is a compass
forever fixed
and
forever true.
---
Edward R. Lyman
And that is all I have to say about that--
for now.......

No comments: