Saturday, May 31, 2008

long lost memories

Allow me a few moments to wax poetic, and take a walk down memory lane.



Recently I attended an orchestra concert for middle child. Most of the time they are nice but on occasion I am counting the minutes until they are over. On this particular night they played a piece that transformed me in time. I don't even know the name of the piece but it was one that was played in the play "Hansel and Gretel". All of a sudden it brought back a flood of memories from when i was my middle childs age. At church we had put on the play--My mom was the wicked witch--{No type casting there} and one of my favorite YW leaders played Gretel. It was a musical and i remember being involved in painting backdrops and such. More than anything else i remember about this event was the HUNDREDS of gingerbread cookies that i helped bake for this event. How appropriate was it to have gingerbread men--with their little raisin eyes and buttons. I remember not being able to even eat one when all was said and done---these were all memories that i have not thought about in sooooo many years. I don't even think I have ever shared this with dear hubby or the kids before. These memories were stored so far back in the dusty archives--who knew that a simple orchestra concert could bring them out. It has made me think alot about what other memories i have stored away. It makes me think about what a strong trigger music can be.

So last night I was watching on line---"the LOVE boat"---again the music transformed me to a simpler time in my life. It was like watching a video tape of me when i was young. I thought about how many things have changed since i was that age--especially where TV is concerned.We didn't have the endless options of channels to watch--and we got our exercise getting up and changing the channel. Once a year Willy Wonka,The Wizard of Oz and The Sound of Music,Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and Rudolph the Red Nosed reindeer(with the voice of Burl Ives) would come on and we would look forward to those nights with much anticipation. I remember getting our first color TV in 1979--up until then i always wondered what "Technicolor" actually was. All of this was things that i have not thought about for many years--most of it insignificant in the big scheme of things and yet they make up my childhood. And all of these memories triggered by "the LOVE boat." It just brings a smile on my face to think about it.

No comments: